Travel Lithuania: Europe’s Best-kept Secret
Lithuania is known to be a country with colorful history. Located at the eastern part of Europe, the country has successfully shoved between the Russian pillar and Nazi post; stunning the world, having won its independence from Soviet Union.
The map of Lithuania shows that it is located on the coast of Baltic Sea. It is divided into four regions: the highlands which is located in the northeast and central part of the country; the lowlands in the west, southeast and the southwest.
Vilnius is the capital city which is located in the southwestern part of the country.
The people in Lithuania are called Lithuanians although there are other races like Polish and Russians who has permanently moved to the country. Their dialects are Russian, Polish and other unspecified languages but the majority speaks Lithuanian which is the official dialect in the country. Their religion also varies, most of them are Roman Catholic, others are Russian Orthodox, and some are Protestants and other unknown religions.
The Weather and Climate in Lithuania
If you want to travel Lithuania, the best time to go is between the month of May and September, when the temperature during daytime ranges from 70s Fahrenheit or 20-25 degree Celsius and the nights usually ranges from 40 to 60 degree Fahrenheit or 4 to 15 degree Celsius. During the month of January and February are the coldest months in the country
There are modes of transportations around Lithuania:
- Land transportations includes buses, Car and motorcycle and train
- Bus – There are international bus companies like Eurolines and Ecolines which has offices in Vilnius and some other main cities in the country. There are couples of buses that go to many European cities every week including German cities and London with a daily bus going to Berlin.
- Car and Motorcycle – If you come from the South, you’ll wait for about 30minutes to an hour at the two Polish border crossings.
- Train – The city of Vilnius is connected by regular direct trains going to Moscow, Kaliningrad, St Petersburg, Warsaw and Minsk.
- Boat – Klaipeda is the major port for all international ferries that bounds for Lithuania.
- Air – Kaunas is the destination for cheap flights but most tourist do not linger there for long and hops in a car rental, taxi or bus immediately to go all the way to Vilnius which is 1 hour drive away.
Top 3 Travel Destinations in Lithuania
Lithuania has numbers of tourist’s destinations any traveler would not dare to miss. These are the top 3 travel destinations in Lithuania: The Zarasi Region – The place is popular for its exquisite forests and lakes impressing every visitor with the rareness, flamboyance and diversity of its nature. Bending and twisting rivers, blue lake patches scattered all around with peaceful woods which makes it the main attraction of the region.
The Nemunas River Delta Regional Park- This spot is located in the south-west of the country; an award-winning attraction being able to protect its natural wonders. This was formed after massive glaciers have melted after the Ice Age.
Plateliai – The place is in the north-west of Lithuania and has been awarded for its excellence in maintaining its intangible heritage.
Overall, the country is the best destination for nature lovers. When you are up to a European cruise or holiday travel, go straight to Lithuania and get ready for an ultimate nature experience. No wonder why they call it Europe’s best kept secret.
Facts About LithuaniaCapital:
65,200 sq km 25,174 sq miTime Zone:
All European Countries:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- United Kingdom